Bug soother is probably one of my favorite products ever! My younger brother is the reason I discovered Bug Soother in the first place. He was a baseball player and anybody who lives in the Midwest knows that the bugs are terrible in the spring/summer evenings (when baseball games are held). One of his teammate’s parents had Bug Soother with them (I don’t know how they found it) and passed it around to all of the families watching the game. My family and I fell in love with the product and had to go out and get our own.
I love that it’s natural and does a great job of keeping away the bugs, especially those pesky gnats that nothing else seems to touch. I also love that it’s made in Iowa (although I’m currently in Nebraska, Iowa will always be home). I generally just use bug soother for everyday activities such as evening walks, picnics in the park, ball games, etc. I did, however, take it with me when I worked a traveling summer camp a couple of summers ago. My mom sent a bottle with me to share with my teammates (needless to say, she hasn’t gotten the bottle back). And as an added bonus, Bug Soother smells AMAZING!
This product has worked great for me and I love to pass on the information/product to people I meet which is why I became an ambassador. Being in Nebraska for graduate school has given me the opportunity to share Bug Soother with those who may not otherwise have the chance to try out this great product! Additionally, being in the biological sciences, my colleagues and I know the dangers of chemicals not only to people and animals, but to the environment as well. We are always looking for more natural alternatives to dousing ourselves in traditional bug sprays.
Want to be an ambassador like Jackie? Apply Here
COLUMBUS JUNCTION — When Freda Sojka founded her business in 2003, she never would have expected it to be as successful as it’s become.
“We kind had a fairy tale beginning, but that doesn’t happen often,” Sojka said.
Sojka, now 66, founded Simply Soothing, a natural product manufacturer in Columbus Junction. With the help of the company’s most popular product — Bug Soother, a bug repellent developed by Sojka — the company has made about $5.5 million in sales over the past four years, Sojka said.
COLUMBUS JUNCTION, Iowa (KCRG-TV9) — Freda Sojka looked around at her unfortunate position during the Flood of 2008. She lived at the confluence of two rivers that were both bursting out of their banks — the Iowa and the Cedar and where they meet near Columbus Junction.
“I wanted to make a bug repellant for a grandson, my 5-month-old grandson, that didn’t have DEET in it,” said Sojka, who worked at Monsanto during that time. “I researched a few ingredients, threw it together and we used it. They were measuring for the flood water on the Cedar and my sister had flooding. So I loaned her a bottle to try and it worked.”
Sometimes the best ideas get shelved before they dominate store shelves. That is what happened with Sojka’s idea for Bug Soother, from her Simply Soothing operation in town.
This summer, you’re probably spending a lot of time outside. And every time you go outside, you bring your Bug Soother. With the help of some of avid users of Bug Soother, we’ve compiled a fun list of times where Bug Soother might come in handy. Have some more ideas? Let us know!
- Golfing- And spending a lot of time in the woods looking for balls!
- Canoeing– it was fun until you realized you forgot your sunscreen AND your Bug Soother
- Watching Baseball
- Playing Baseball
- Catching Fireflies- As long as the gnats aren’t catching you, it’ll be fun!
- Building a Tree House
- Planting a Garden
- Swinging on a Tire Swing
- Jumping Rope
- Going on a Picnic- A travel-sized bottle will fit right in your picnic basket
- Climbing a Tree
- Reading Your Favorite Book Under a Tree
- Filling up your bird feeder
- Selling lemonade
- Walking the Dog- Spray some Bug Soother on your dog to keep him smelling great AND keep the bugs away!
- Bird watching
- Going on a treasure hunt
- Smelling the flowers- While you’re at it, smell your Bug Soother too
- Photographing nature
- Taking a walk- And if it’s hot, stick your Bug Soother in the fridge beforehand, so it can help cool you down!
- Exploring a local park
- Going on a hike- Whether you’re in Iowa or Colorado or even the UK, Bug Soother is a must-have
- Taking a bike ride
- Picking up litter
- Watching the sunrise
- Watching the sunset
- Going on a first date- Unfortunately, bad dates can’t be repelled, but at least you will smell good!
- Hosting an outdoor movie night
- Water balloon fight!
- Completing an obstacle course- Build your own backyard course, or compete on American Ninja Warrior, but don’t let the bugs bother you
- Working on your newest landscape project
- Keeping your tiger gnat-free- And your elephants, giraffes, monkeys, chickens, exotic birds, and horses!
- Grilling out for a BBQ
- Attending an outdoor concert
- Yoga in the Park- The Downward Dog doesn’t work if you’re swatting the bugs
- Horseback riding- Spray it on the rider AND the horse!
- Spending the day at an amusement park
- Volunteering in the community
- Whitewater rafting
- Watching fireworks
- Playing disc golf
- Rounding up the cows- And when you accidentally get “stung” by a stinging nettle as you stomp through the pasture, use Bug Soother to treat the sting.
- Chopping firewood– Winter’s not too far away
- Taking a trip to the local splash pad
- Going for a run- And spray it in your shoes afterwards as a deodorizer!
- Taking a trip to the beach
- Playing polo
- Visiting the zoo- Good thing Bug Soother is safe for animals too!
- Showing animals at the county fair- Share it with 4H friends, and spray it on your cows, goats, dogs, and cats!
- Flying a kite
- Picking blueberries
- Going to a carnival
- Washing your car
- Mowing the lawn
- Watering flowers- Give your flowers a spritz of Bug Soother to protect them from Bugs too.
- Hosting a yard sale
- Attending an arts festival
- Taking a nap in the hammock
- Playing catch in the backyard
- Dining on the patio- Spray it around the area you will be sitting to make your evening enjoyable. And spray your screen door to keep those flies away.
- Covering up your sweaty smell
- Playing Bocce in your backyard
- Watching the solar eclipse on August 21, 2017
- Attending a rodeo
- Watching a parade- Who needs candy when you can get Bug Soother?
- Playing tennis
- Shopping at the local farmer’s market
- Paddle boarding
- Freshening up- In the heat of the day, Bug Soother is sure to make you smell GREAT! And don’t forget to try out our new Scent of Summer Line to have summer all year round!