“It might literally be hundreds that we get asked for it. Personally, probably dozens a day that I get asked where is bug soother where is the gnat spray,” explained Mankato Scheels Store Leader Brandon Scheel….Me and two of my kids made a 10–hour round trip on Friday to pick this up from Southern Iowa so we would have it in stock Saturday morning,”
“Locals were asking for lemon grass or lemon basil as a possible natural repellent, as well as Bug Soother, a repellent made by a family-owned business in Columbus Junction, Iowa. The spray contains water, lemon grass oil, lemon, vanillin, castor oil, glycerin and vitamin E. The company says people like the smell, which recalls vanilla ice cream, but the bugs hate it.”
When I first created Bug Soother, it was to help my young grandson Elijah, who had sensitive skin and was getting eaten up by the Iowa gnats. I wanted something safe, natural, and nourishing to the skin…but wherever I looked, I couldn’t find a product that was gentle enough yet still kept the gnats away…and that’s how Bug Soother began!
The best natural mosquito repellent
Bug Soother was originally formulated for gnats, but we were excited to discover that amongst other things, it repelled some mosquitoes too; But something that’s always “bugged us” (pardon the pun) though, is that it hasn’t been as effective on mosquitoes as we would have liked. So, over the past several years we have been hard at work coming up with a new formulation that has the same great scent and works on gnats, but is now more effective on mosquitoes! After A LOT of trial & error, and multiple tests around the country (and even the world), we are excited to announce our NEW formulation of Bug Soother! The best part is that we were able to keep the same light fragrance and natural ingredients that protect your family and pets — but now it’s an even more effective natural mosquito repellent!
Bug Soother has always been (and continues to be) a safe, natural product, made right here in the USA (SE Iowa to be more specific)! Although we continue to be located in the Midwest, we are proud to be a favorite among folks from all around the country (and even other parts of the world) who love being outside and don’t want to be held back by the bugs. Whether you like to golf, hike, camp, hunt, fish, work outside, do yoga, go to baseball games, or just sit on the back porch with your family, Bug Soother keeps the bugs away — without any of the harsh chemicals or greasy feeling.
Our ingredients are easy to recognize and nourishing for your skin. We don’t use heavy, harsh chemicals to get rid of bugs. Instead, we want to be completely transparent about what you’ll find in our products.
That’s why our gnat and mosquito-busting formula has easy-to-understand ingredients.
Why is Bug Soother a more effective mosquito repellent?
Here’s what our formula has inside:
- Glycerin — Glycerin is a kind of fat that is derived from plants. It is used in every industry, from all-natural beauty products to foods. In fact, there are over 1,500 uses for glycerin today. It is known to help moisturize your skin, prevent cracking and chafing, and allow other all-natural ingredients to stay on your skin for longer.
- Castor Oil — Castor oil is a safe, all-natural oil made from castor beans. Castor oil is another popular choice for natural beauty formulas. It has been used since the Ancient Egyptians for lubrication. That’s why Bug Soother goes on so smooth!
- Soy Lecithin — Soy lecithin is found in many foods as a natural “emulsifier,” or smoother. Soy lecithin is derived from animal fats and gives many natural beauty products a smooth texture.
- Vitamin E — Vitamin E is a “super vitamin” for skin. Found in many anti-aging formulas, Vitamin E gently nourishes your skin as an antioxidant. Studies claim that Vitamin E can prevent itchy skin — a bonus if you’re putting it on after you’ve tangled with bugs.
- 100% Pure Lemongrass Essential Oil — Lemongrass’s bright, citrusy scent is loved by humans. In fact, it’s used in spas because it encourages relaxation and contemplation. Some people claim that it can treat anxiety and depression. But the most important thing is — bugs hate the smell. One whiff of lemongrass, and mosquitoes, gnats, and more flee.
- Vanillin — Finally, just a touch of vanillin to give Bug Soother the sweet vanilla scent that completes that Bug Soother “scent of summer” you know and love!
Why Choose Bug Soother
Bug Soother has become a beloved staple around our home in Columbus Junction, Iowa. Thanks to our growing sales and hard work, we are pleased to offer Bug Soother in over 6,000 retail locations across the country and around the world, plus you can also find us on Amazon, or purchase directly through our own website.
We are proud to offer an insect repellent with no harmful chemicals — and an amazing product at a reasonable price.
If you’re struggling with bugs, give Bug Soother a try. We’d love for you to join our family of highly-satisfied customers. To order, click here — and take your summer back from the bugs.
Tell us what you think! We are proud to be a small family business and we take all feedback to heart. Take a few minutes to complete our customer satisfaction survey and you’ll be entered to win a $25 Gift Certificate to use on any of our retail Simply Soothing products at simplysoothing.net.
Thank you for trusting us to protect your family,
CEO & Creator of Bug Soother, Mother, & (most importantly these days) Grandmother to Emilee, Austin, Ethan, Elijah, Xander, and multiple “fur babies”